Saturday, March 7, 2015

Denali Era, day 1

Eventually, the day arrived. On Thursday night, Irvin flew back from Louisville, Kentucky where he almost stayed stuck because of an upcoming snow storm. The next morning, we were driving toward Oregon. Nearby Salem, we met Sally whose pretty little female dog had a litter by the end of December. And we got to finally meet with Denali. We had only seen pictures so far.

As I was holding her, I felt this chemical wave in my brain – ocytocin? Endorphin? A rush of happiness washed over me. I felt as light as a bubble floating in the sky. Sally showed us papers to sign. I was so distracted. If I had not dealt with an honest person, and without a husband, I might as well have signed an IOU for an abundant sum of money or an order to have a half-dozen of Dobermans delivered to our door in the coming days.

We have not had such a young puppy at home for almost 10 years. What surprised me most is… how small she is. She is joyful and lively, but she is so small and vulnerable… I felt that way with each of my previous dogs then forgot about it. I am looking forward for her to get bigger.

And in the same time, as I hold her and sense her warm breath while she falls asleep in my arms, I don’t want to rush – but fully experience each day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment