Friday, March 20, 2015

DNA Scrutiny

In January, Irvin and I ordered a DNA research for each of us. That was our mutual Christmas gift! We filled the little jug with our saliva and sent the two small boxes. As I told him, “if they ever mix up our results, it will not be too hard to fix!” I cannot have Native American ancestry. Irvin has only one grandmother from European descent.

Irvin was out of town when an email informed me that my results were available. I have to say I did not wait for him to be back, I was too impatient. No romantic discovery by the two of us together!

I had a pretty clear idea of my origins but the dance of the genes has its own logic. 

This is what I found out. I am 64% “Jewish European”. That brought my childhood back to my mind where I have always felt this connection with the world of Judaism, while knowing very little about it. Later on, when I studied biblical Hebrew at seminary, I felt fascinated from the start.
But I am wondering how the percentage can be over 50% when only one of my parents is of Jewish descent?

Then I was told I am 19% from Great Britain. This is weird – although the blue circle over the country includes, in a lighter shade, the north of France and even Paris. Or would it be this great-grand-father from Valenciennes on my mother side?

Then 10% between Spain and Italy. This includes the south of France and it sounds logical since I have family from the Nice (Mediterranean coast) area.
A few percents from Scandinavia and Irland.

Then it was Irvin’s turn to discover his genes. He is 69% Native American, he knew that much.

20% from Great Britain? His non-Indian grand-mother was Norwegian. He found out he had English ancestors only by going up high in his genealogical tree. And he has only 3% genes from Scandinavia!

5% from Central Asia. Could it be a trace of great migrations by the Behring Detroit?
A few Irish percents.

Why do we want to know more about our heritage? Does it change who we are? Or the way we look at our family and ourselves?

We may find the beginning of an answer in the words written by poet and writer Linda Hogan, from the Chickasaw tribe.

“Walking. I am listening to a deeper way. Suddenly all my ancestors are behind me. Be still, they say. Watch and listen. You are the result of the love of thousands."



No comments:

Post a Comment