Monday, February 23, 2015

Ash Wednesday from Backstage

A few days ago, we embarked for the journey that Lent represents – a time of introspection during which we prepare for Easter and the resurrection of Christ. It starts with worship, on the evening of Ash Wednesday where we receive a cross-shaped mark on our forehead drawn with ashes, symbol of mourning and sacrifice.


The word of Lent in French is Carême , from the Latin Quadragesima, meaning 40th, for the 40 days (not including Sundays) of the season. In English, Lent points toward spring, the time where days lengthen.

At UPPC, last Wednesday, worship was at 7:00 PM. The preparations reminded me of my first American Ash Wednesday, in Dubuque, Iowa where I lived my first two American years. The seminary student in charge of providing the ashes got worried because they were too light-colored. He had an idea which showed genius: he would add some toner – ink meant for printers. He had time later to confirm that the color was perfect: the dark shade of the cross on the forehead of the participants of the worship tenaciously resisted being washed out from their face for several days.

As the service closed, I was by the side of Aaron and Taeler, each with our bowl of ashes. It was moving to touch the foreheads of the participants, being in this close contact with them, sometimes pushing away a strand of hair... 

This was the time where we are reminded of our mortality with the sentence “Remember you were dust – and to dust you shall return”. This was so unusual to say so to each of them, particularly the youngest ones. And yet true, and strangely peaceful.

The weirdest thought came through my mind suddenly – should I say “you will return” or “you shall return”? Memories from my English grammar class seem to indicate that “shall” should be used only for the first person, singular and plural – in other words, “I” and “we”. Taeler and Aaron were not close enough for me to hear what they were saying. 

I pushed the thought away. I must have said both. I think both were okay…

The service ended in silence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment