Tuesday, August 5, 2014

After the benediction

Last Sunday, I had the pleasure to lead worship at Church of the Indian Fellowship. Irvin was at Fort Worth, Texas where he participated at the multicultural conference of the PC(USA). I get to fill in for him when he is out of town.

Before the benediction, I often quote those verses from Philippians 4:5-8

 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Then the benediction follows, that I keep simple.

“May the blessing of God almighty,
The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit
Remain with you always.”

Irvin likes the benediction from Numbers (6 :25)

“The LORD bless you
       and keep you;
the LORD make his face shine upon you
       and be gracious to you;
the LORD turn his face toward you
       and give you peace."

Sometimes, he adds this Cherokee blessing :

“May the warm wind of heaven
blow softly upon you
And the creator make sunrise in your heart.”

After the benediction, I walk briskly toward the door of the church, while the assemble sings the responsive hymn.

The first time I saw a pastor do that was soon after I made it to the US. I remember my confusion when I saw the pastor leave the pulpit so fast. “Where is he going ? Leaving already?”

I found out soon that most pastors do it. They are not leaving, obviously – they go to the door to make sure they can shake the hand of each parishioner before they leave or go get a cup of coffee in the Fellowship hall.

“It is an intensely concentrated time of interaction” writes Martin Copenhaver[1], describing how his parishioners update him on their life in that short face-to-face moment, or react to his sermon, appreciative or perplex, rarely sarcastic.

He remembers though that soon after his ordination, a man told him with a smile “You know, Martin, every sermon seems better than the next one”. Martin comments “He was in his car and driving away before I realized what he had said”.

When in France, I would stay around the pulpit and gather my papers after leading worship. Some people would come up to me and we would talk. Others would chat with each other and disperse. It felt more spontaneous.

On the other hand, I appreciate having this opportunity to greet each person who came to join us, whether I have known them for years or am just meeting them. They have listened to me for more than an hour. It is my time to hear them – and I enjoy this opportunity.

Friends from French churches: so now you know. If the American pastor quickly moves to the door at the end of worship, he is not fleeing away or rushing to the bathroom. No, he just wants to make sure he will be able to shake your hand.
You heard his benediction. Now is his time to receive yours.

Irvin at the door of Church of the Indian Fellowship




[1] This Odd and Wondrous Calling, Eedermans Publishing, Grand Rapids, Michigan/Cambridge UK, 2009, p.11

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Although some of us may also be anxious to get to the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete