Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Scrutiny week


This morning, it was PET-scanner time, which required an almost superhuman effort. I was not allowed, in the previous 24 hours, to consume any dairy, sugar, fruits, starch or caffeine. No bread, no cheese, no yogurt… no chocolate… as I told Irvin “the foundation of my pyramid food is taken away from me!” I nostalgically munched on lettuce and roasted chicken… 

The exam requires also being injected with a radioactive substance. It is not painful, but I got mildly concerned when I noticed the syringe had its own lead armor.  The scanner device looks identical to the MRI one, but it is silent.

Making comparison was easy: I had a brain MRI in the afternoon and even with ear plugs, yes it was strident. Since I had time on my hands (the exam last 45 minutes, in 2 parts) I tried to categorize the diverse noises. There was first some techno beats, then a symphony of alarms, then a conversation between pneumatic drills that would even shake the whole engine once in a while. There were also isolated weird noises in between, slamming of doors and the occasional drunk frog croak…

I appreciated the presence of a small mirror which allowed me to see outside while I was still in this big tube. Wherever we are, even for less than an hour, it is good to always be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment