Sunday, January 20, 2013

A one-on-one fight


Last Sunday, I went to church for the first time since the cancer diagnosis. I received hugs and comforting words, as well as tears from some who were caught off guard by the news. The congregation surrounded me and prayed for me, their hands on my shoulders and head while Irvin anointed me with oil. I felt supported by those prayers as by a network of imperceptible threads of lights. I am not alone in this unwanted trip.


Two days ago, I received the results of all the MRI and scanner I went through during the week. The nurse took my blood pressure. She seemed surprised. “Do you have high blood pressure?” she asked. I smiled.  “No. I am scared.” She looked skeptical and started all over again. She probably found the same result as she did not say anything else.

The results were good. No additional tumor anywhere – except, maybe, a small one by the location of the original one. Tomorrow Monday, I will have an outpatient procedure during which the “sentinel node” will be extracted, the port for the chemo will be inserted, and some additional tissue will be taken out to check out this possible second tumor. If it is there, it will be swiped away by the chemo and the radiations anyway.

I felt the effects of relief, cascading sweetly in waves all evening. I am comfortable facing one small tumor, aggressive or not. There will be blood.  

No comments:

Post a Comment