Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Impromptu Wedding

The phone rang early that morning - a woman’s worried voice. I feared the worse (I always do) but fortunately, the perceptible fretfulness did not mean a tragedy had happened. Quite the opposite. “I need to get married today! Would the pastor marry us?”
On this snowy day, the combination of a soon-to-expire license, the gathering of parents, friends and witnesses, as well as the absence of the judge of the Puyallup tribe (due to the weather?) led to this call. But black ice was preventing anyone to go up to the church. This is how the whole party ended two hours later in our living room, surrounding the bride – a tall and strong tattooed Native woman, full of life and humor.
The liturgy was simple and moving. I passed around boxes of Kleenex. “That was really good, said one of the witnesses to Irvin. I am sorry I did not know you before I got married”. I appreciated the command to be a united couple while remaining fully oneself. Be together and yet respect the sacred places between you.  You are not alike.  Celebrate your individuality.  Be one in purpose, yet two persons
The closing blessing is poetic and inspiring.             
Now for you the North wind does not blow;
You are shelter to one another.
Now for you there is no hunger;
Each brings what the other needs.
Now for you there is no darkness;
You have learned to see with the heart.
Now for you there is no loneliness;
Two have become one.

It was still snowing when the newlyweds and their loved ones left.

1 comment: