Saturday, January 4, 2014

I am prejudiced

A few years ago, Irvin and I were in Los Angeles for a conference and we visited the Museum of Tolerance – a great place to learn and reflect. 

As you start the visit, you are faced with two doors. You get to choose the one you will get through: one invites you to come in if you are a prejudiced person. The other one is for you if you are not.


Of course, the “unprejudiced door” does not open – everyone should go through the other one. We all deal with those spontaneous thoughts and biased judgments one way or another.

This memory came back to my mind last month, when I started working at University Place Presbyterian Church (UPPC) which is a strong, wealthy church, in a residential neighborhood. Over 1,400 members - many of them middle or upper class.

How does it feel to belong to a self-reliant congregation? Are you tempted to stay among your friends and not reach out to the world of needs and scarcity that lies outside?

Well, the answer is no. Members at UPPC are involved and active in many fields, helping people both locally and abroad. 

During the month of December, where I started to work there, I was surprised. Surprised? I guess I was holding some prejudice against the ability of a wealthy church to reach out. 

It did not last long – I went fast from ‘surprised’ to ‘impressed’. And since my job is to help them do just that, I should have an amazing time at UPPC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment