Saturday, December 4, 2010

Death is Nothing

The funeral service for my uncle will take place today, in Saint Eustache Church – a beautiful  church built in the center of Paris on the 16th century. I will be over there with my all heart. It so happens that I know this church well, I sang with its choir for several years.
For the past few days, I have felt inhabited with memories, the faces of my cousins, the laugh of my uncle, some conversations we had. The words that come to my mind were written by Charles Péguy, one of the most prominent writer and poet of the 19th century. When his mother, who raised him singlehandedly, passed away, he felt in his heart what she would want to tell him from beyond the grave.
Death is nothing.
I only left to go into the next room.
What we were for each others,
We still are.
Continue to call me with the name you always used for me.
Keep talking to me the way you always did.
Don’t use another tone.
Don’t take a solemn or sad look.
Keep laughing about what used to make us laugh together.
Keep praying, keep smiling,
Keep thinking of me.
May my name be said at home like it always was,
Without any awkwardness and no trace of shadow.
Life continues to mean what it has always meant.
The thread between us is not cut out.
Why would I be out of your thoughts
When I am only out of your sight?
I am waiting for you.
I am not far : just on the other side of the road.
You see, everything is fine.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I'm so glad you could call forth such meaningful words as your heart is breaking. Just shows what a strong woman you are, with a strong faith that there is more beyond the grave. Love you!

    ReplyDelete